Sunday, October 28, 2007

Do You Ever Feel Like Wearing A Sign?

Thing 1 and Thing 2 are finally civilized enough to take out in public without me having to worry about being utterly embarrassed by their behavior. On Friday I happened to be feeling like a nice mommy so I agreed to take all the Things to Jamba Juice after I picked them up from school. We placed our order for 2 Power sized Peanut Butter Moo'ds, substitute strwaberries for peanut butter, with immunity boosts, split into 5 cups. It's a yummy chocolate, strawberry & banana treat.
As we were waiting for our drinks, I noticed a woman staring at us. I'm used to people looking at us when we are out in public but this woman was studying us. She kept looking at each Thing, then at me, then from Thing to Thing, over and over again. She was so busy scrutinizing my family that she didn't even notice that I was watching her do this. I almost wanted to ask her if she had any questions.

Maybe I should make it easier for people by wearing a sign that says:

  • Yes, they are all mine (even the pale, blondish one)!
  • They are bi-racial.
  • Two of them are twins. Nope, not that boy & the girl. The two younger boys.
  • Yes, I realize that one of the twins is much taller than the other.
  • The oldest boy is 10, the girl is 6 and the twins are 16 months younger than she is.
  • Yes I have my hands full and yes, I'm done.
  • Any other questions???
Do you think a sign like that would have stopped that woman from staring?

My favorite part of the Jamba Juice trip was the man who commented "It looks like a school bus!", as I was rounding all the kids up into the van.
Do people really think these kinds of comments are cute?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better to just make a recording and play it out loud for all to hear whenever you enter a new location. I feel your feelings my friend. I have been there and done that with all my kids and would do it all again only louder and more present the second time around. Actually with D out of town and all the little ones with me I am feeling and hearing it again and I relish in others amazement at what comes so natural for me.

Be strong and proud and keep them guessing.

Anonymous said...

How about when people (me) ask, "What the hell were you thinking?!?!"

Ummm,
Mother of 3 who needs a sign that says, "No the youngest are not twins...they are 18 months apart because I *can* get pregnant when I'm nursing..."

Anonymous said...

I'll be she was so struck by their cuteness, she couldn't stop looking!

I"m so interested in how much siblings look or don't look like each other, and in child-spacing and birth order, I'm suddenly worrying that I might be...A Starer.

mb said...

M!!!!

I miss you!! i am thinking of you and now i am finally catching up on all my reads....

i am having such a freaking hard time with my girls....when is it i can take my things out in public and not have an ulcer by the time we get back home???????????

love you
m